UH Health and Wellness Campaign: Preparing for Risks in Home Care Settings and from Slips and Falls
Why does United Heartland put such an emphasis on educating our health care and long-term care customers about safety issues related to their livelihoods? Consider this:
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reported this June that in 2013, there were nearly 58,000 work-related injuries and illnesses in U.S. hospitals. That works out to 6.4 work-related injuries and illness for every 100 full-time employees, a rate almost twice as high for any other industry in the private sector, including construction and manufacturing.
We are committed to helping our health care and long-term care customers deal with whatever risks they face and providing them resources to help them stay safe and healthy. The last phase of our 2015 Health Care and Long-term Care Wellness campaign examines three issues in particular: home health care workers and driving safety; slips, trips and falls; and injury management systems.
For home health care workers, we identify:
- Occupational exposures present in home care settings.
- Safety tips for health care and social service professionals when visiting homes and the communities in which they are located.
- Motor vehicle safety tips for health care workers who are required to drive as part of their job responsibilities.
As part of slip, trip and fall prevention, we examine:
- Resources and best practices regarding STF exposures for health care, long-term care and social service organizations.
- Tips on handling STF exposures when working in home health care settings.
- How proper floor maintenance can be instrumental in reducing STF risks.
And for injury management systems, we explore:
- Gaps that may be present in an organization’s current injury management program.
- Details on United Heartland’s Injury Management Program evaluation and improvement process.
- Strategies for making the case for transitional duty.
- How the United Heartland Claims team helps customers and their injured employees by providing efficient and effective case management, superior medical management and cutting edge tools, such as our patented Care Analytics® platform.
We are committed to working with our customers in the health and wellness industries and provide information to help them work safer. Additional materials related to other risks and exposures in health care and long-term care settings are also available. We’re confident our health and long-term care campaign is your prescription for injury prevention.