Toolbox - Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention
Slips, trips and falls (STF) not only have direct impact to the injured employee, but to businesses as well.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were more than 296,130 non-fatal cases of slips, trips or falls involving days away from work in the United States in 2013.
- United Heartland STF claims were the second most frequently reported in the manufacturing sector and most costly source of losses from 2008 to 2012.
- During this period, the average UH STF claim cost was in excess of $10,000 and was a top loss driver for many of our business segments, including manufacturing.
Because the causes and exposures for slips, trips and falls can be so varied and widespread, particularly in the manufacturing sector, their complex nature can make it seem challenging for managers to try to control. This phase of United Heartland’s Manufacturing Loss Control Campaign provides resources that can help manufacturers assess their current STF risks and strategize ways to lessen their future exposures. The downloadable materials, available below, examine topics, such as:
- Friction and footwear
- Housekeeping practices, including floor protection
- Fall protection and avoidance
- The use of three-point contact
- Ladder safety
We encourage you to visit this page often and share it with others in your organization to review resources we’ve provided. We’re pleased to assist our customers in the manufacturing industry and provide information to help them work safer. To learn more about our Manufacturing Loss Control Campaign, click here.
Topic: Manufacturing - Slip, Trip and Fall Prevention Materials
- Fall Protection Flier (link opens in new window)
- Friction and Footwear (link opens in new window)
- Housekeeping – Floor Maintenance – Controlling Slips and Falls (link opens in new window)
- Housekeeping Practices (link opens in new window)
- Ladder Safety Flier (link opens in new window)
- Reducing Slip, Trip and Fall Injuries: The UH Assessment Process (link opens in new window)
- Sample Slip and Fall Prevention Program (link opens in new window)
- Slip, Trip and Fall Hot Spots (link opens in new window)
- The 10 Rungs of Ladder Safety (link opens in new window)
- Three Point Contact Flier (link opens in new window)
- UH Slip, Trip and Fall Training Resources (link opens in new window)