WalkSafe: Ice and Snow and Salt, Oh My!
Search the Library
Ice and Snow and Salt, Oh My!
When it comes to preventing slips and falls during the winter, it doesn’t take much effort to make a big impact. Providing safe walking surfaces for your employees is important — especially when winter storms hit. By using ice-melt on sidewalks, parking lots and other frequently traveled areas, you will protect your employees from slip and fall accidents at work, even on the roughest winter days. A few ice-melt reminders:
- Always stock more than you expect you’ll need.
- Store in an easily accessible area.
- Use quality products that won’t damage concrete or landscaping.
While you can control the de-icing practices at your company, remember that employees who travel to off-site locations are still vulnerable to slips and falls. Therefore, keep your employees informed of the necessary precautions when travelling off site.
Our friends at Jefferson Community Health & Life shared that last year they had five employees report slips and falls on ice/snow. Their goal this year is to have ZERO incidents. To drive the number down, they’ve ordered and filled salt/sand shakers for their entire staff, along with a complimentary refill station so shakers never empty. They also remind their staff to “walk like a penguin,” with heels in, toes out, small steps. Nice work, Jefferson Community Health & Life!
Tips for using salt and de-icers
According to Consumers Report, follow these tips when using salt and ice-melt products:
- Mix it up. Mix your ice-melt with an abrasive like sand, which reduces the amount of salt on your pavement and provides traction.
- Spread it in layers. Always use a gentle hand when applying any type of ice-melt to concrete. Spread a thin layer before a storm, then another light layer during the storm.
- If the temperature is 5° F or warmer, regular rock salt is as good as anything. Salt lowers the freezing point of water to this temperature.
- Below 5° F, opt for a salt blend. Look for a product containing calcium chloride, which can melt ice in temperatures as low as -25° F.
Purchase salt/sand shakers today!
To help protect against slips and falls, we’re providing organizations the opportunity to purchase salt/sand shakers directly from our vendor at a discounted cost. The shakers are designed to fit in vehicle cup holders for convenient access and are great for employees on the road or those who may work from home.
- For ordering and pricing information, click here.
- To learn more about the benefits of these handy salt/sand shakers, click here.
For more, visit our WalkSafe campaign homepage at UnitedHeartland.com/WalkSafe to browse our library of materials.
Share this resource:
URL coppied to clipboard.
Or send it directly to someone via our email form: